RSS

Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Merry McGovern Christmas (Part 2)


I am not known for my cooking skills. Don’t get me wrong, I can cook, I just don’t derive an enormous amount of joy from it. I cook because I have to and I love to eat. The only exception to my food prep feelings of “meh” are cookies and adult beverages. I love to play baker and bartender for others. The holiday season is one of the few times I have spare moments to indulge in baking and drink making and I have a few traditional items I’d like to share.
First, the nommies:
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. The only cookie The Irishman likes. Fortunately, Li’l Man and I agree.  A batch only lasts 48 hours in our house, so I don’t make them too often.  I use the recipe on the Quaker Oats container and add extra raisins. Mmmmm.

Sugar Cookies with frosting. NO SPRINKLES!  I’m anti-sprinkle on any deserts. They’re hard and annoying, with no additional flavor explosion. Instead I decorate my sugar cookies with a few different colors. They pull off festive fine sans sprinkle.

Finally, a new recipe I’m going to try: Orange Snowballs. Someone brought these little balls of delicious jubilation to our office party.  I think I ate six or seven. I would’ve had more, but they were devoured. Scruuuuuumptilicious and easy!  My kind of baking.
1 (6 oz.) can frozen orange juice, thawed
1 (12 oz.) box vanilla wafers-crushed
1 (1 lb.) box powdered sugar
1 stick butter
Crush vanilla wafers fine or in food processor. Mix in sugar. Add small can O.J. and pour in melted butter. Mix together with hands and form into 1-inch balls and roll additional powdered sugar if desired. Refrigerate. Serve cool next day.

Now for the Yummy Sips:
A drink that my mom started as a Christmas tradition when I was of age. Ish. The Frozen Brandy Alexander.
1 oz Brandy
1 oz Crème de Cacao
2 scoops vanilla ice cream
Blend until smoothed together

It’s like a grown up Frosty!


Finally, a simple favorite - the coffee with Baileys Irish Cream. It's not just for Christmas!  Pour coffee, add Baileys, and a dash of Splenda. Mmmmmwake-up happy!


That's it from Villa de la McGovern. We at the M Shelf hope you all have a Safe & Merry Christmas!  We'll be back after the 25th with the M Shelf year in review and goals for 2013.

Cheers!




&


1 comments:

Elizabeth Michels said...

I'm going to try the orange snowballs! Those look so yums! And I admit it, I'm sipping my Baileys and coffee as I write this. :) Happy holidays!

Post a Comment